Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6lb Pomeranian ingested a bit of a cascade dish detergent…

Customer Question
My 6lb Pomeranian ingested a...
My 6lb Pomeranian ingested a bit of a cascade dish detergent pouch. She already threw up and is just a bit more calmer then her norm. Should I take her to an emergency vet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long ago did she eat this?

How long after she ate it did she vomit? Has she had any more vomiting?

Any drooling, belly discomfort, appetite loss, or changes in her mouth?

I was out of the apartment and when I came home she had escaped her crate. The open packet of cascade was on the ground. A few minutes later she had thrown up. She's been pretty calm since then, which is a bit unusual for her. It's been about 4hrs since. No changes to appetite (she's still begging for treats) and no changes in her mouth that I've noticed.

Thank you,

I am very glad to hear that she hasn't shown any more signs and is still keen to eat for us. The reason I asked is because some of these detergents can be caustic causing sores/blisters in the mouth and stomach. This can be painful and lead to drooling, GI upset, belly pain, and appetite loss. Now I have reviewed the safety data for this product and there is no mention of these risks for ingestion. The only concern is that it can cause mouth irritation and upset stomach.

Therefore, we would just want to monitor her and can take some steps to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we were to see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, it sounds like she didn't ingest much and may have actually brought it up before it could cause any bother. Therefore, I would just advise keeping a close eye on Miyu, offering small frequent meals of a light diet to absorb any lingering detergent, and using an antacid if we do see any stomach upset over the next 24 hours.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

**Please make sure to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no further charge for this). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)