Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My yorkie delivered two puppies about 5 hrs ago and when she…

Customer Question
My yorkie delivered two puppies...
My yorkie delivered two puppies about 5 hrs ago and when she gets up shes trying to push something out. She's still panting.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I understand that you are concerned about your girl and her labor process so far.

Some dogs will deliver a puppy or two and then take a break. Most of the time the break isn't longer than an hour however. I understand that she delivered 2 puppies 5 hours ago, but how long has she been actively pushing since, or did she not take any sort if break and has been panting and pushing this entire time?

Do you know how many puppies she is carrying?

The second stage of labor that is the active stage of labor. If she is actively pushing and straining that is where she is now. The first puppy should be born within 2 hours of you noticing her straining and it is usually faster then that.

There shouldn't be more that an hour between puppies if she is not taking a break and is actively in the second stage of labor, panting and pushing. And if you see any fetal membranes or a body part protruding the pup should be delivered within 30 minutes, if not that signifies trouble.

The problem can be a puppy that is too large to pass through the pelvic canal, improper presentation of the puppy or uterine inertia (poor muscle tone and contractions).

She may not need a c-section but if it has been more than 2 hours with her actively straining and no pups being delivered then she needs help of some kind. That may be as simple as an oxytocin injection and intravenous calcium, or it may be that a puppy is malpositioned or too big to pass, in which case she would need a c-section.

I understand that this is tough if your funds are limited, but there is nothing effective to be done at home for her if labor isn't progressing properly.

She needs hands on veterinary help. If you truly cannot afford it some emergency clinics will help if you sign ownership of your pet over to them. I recommend calling your local emergency clinics and seeing if they offer a payment plan or some sort of help for people that cannot afford veterinary care. Here's a link to help you find emergency care in your area:

http://www.vetlocator.com/index.php

Best of luck, please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara