Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

One of my morphine 30mg ER pills fell on the floor and my…

Customer Question
One of my morphine 30mg...
One of my morphine 30mg ER pills fell on the floor and my German shepherd ate it. Will she be ok?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

May I ask how much Maggie weighs, how long ago this occurred, and if she has any underlying medical issues?

75 pounds, it occurred approximately 20 minutes ago and no other medical issues

Thank you, ***** ***** pounds (34 kg) we should be alright.

Although in dogs oral absorption can be very low and sustained-release oral products have been shown to have highly variable absorption rates, oral products can be tried for palliative care. One recommendation is: In dogs, the starting oral dose of regular morphine is 1 mg/kg PO q4-6h. For Maggie this would be 34 mg...

According to the veterinary formula, side effects to monitor for state:

At usual doses, the primary concern is the effect the opioids have on respiratory function. Decreased tidal volume, depressed cough reflex, and the drying of respiratory secretions may all have a detrimental effect on a susceptible patient. Panting is often seen in dogs after morphine administration.

Gastrointestinal effects may include: nausea, vomiting, and decreased intestinal peristalsis (motility). Dogs may defecate after an initial dose of morphine, but this is not usually seen when used post-operatively.

The CNS effects of morphine are dose and species specific. Animals that are stimulated by morphine may elucidate changes in behavior (e.g., 'morphine mania' in cats, increased locomotor activity in horses, etc.), appear restless and, at very high doses, have convulsions. The CNS depressant effects seen in dogs may encumber the abilities of working animals.

Body temperature changes may be seen. Cattle, goats, horses, and cats may exhibit signs of hyperthermia, while rabbits and dogs may develop hypothermia.

You can elect to be safe and since your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (2 tbsp & 1 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

But I would expect to see sedation and possibly gi side effects at this dose

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Maggie doing after ingesting the pill? Were you able to induce vomiting or did you elect to monitor? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!