Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Lynne I have a golder retiver who is 14 he has been

Customer Question
Lynne I...

Lynne I have a golder retiver who is 14 he has been chattering his teeth for a month now he also is having problems walking lately where he falls

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I am not sure if I should put him down or cuz he still seems happy and active but he just got stuck on the floor nad he back to legs were stiff and he could not get up

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he currently on any medications?

2- Has he been seen by a veterinarian for this problem?

no and no not yet!

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Sorry i am on limited fund at this time I have had 3 surgeries this year major ones. So my funds are really limited.

Friend, the chattering of the teeth could be a sign of pain. The fact that he is stiff and having difficulty getting up it is very likely he is suffering from arthritis. There could be other causes like weakness as a result of a systemic disease like: Tumors, kidney or liver disease, etc.

I would recommend you have him checked by family veterinarian, if his symptoms are related to arthritis he could benefit from the use of arthritis medication like Rimadyl. I would not put him to sleep without giving him the benefit of the medication. Some dogs do really well once they start the medication. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter