Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog can no longer feed her puppies. Will she continue to…

Customer Question
Our dog can no longer...
Our dog can no longer feed her puppies. Will she continue to produce milk when she hears them cry?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. There may be a little hormonal surge from hearing them cry, but it shouldn't really affect milk production too much. If they are not nursing anymore, she should still dry up. It is the suckling action that causes the body to produce more hormones that stimulates milk production. I would monitor her mammary glands daily to make sure they are not getting very hard, painful, discolored or have an abnormal discharge. If there is a lot of milk in the mammary glands right now, it may need to be manually expressed out with a warm wash cloth, so she doesn't get an infection. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian