Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My miniature poodle has chronic ear infections in one ear.

Customer Question
Weekly ear cleansing treatments don't...
My miniature poodle has chronic ear infections in one ear. Weekly ear cleansing treatments don't seem to help. I've been using Zymox Otic, and it is very effective in treating infections after they occur, usually relieving symptoms within a day or two. Can I use an OTIC solution such as ZYMOX on a regular basis such as weekly to prevent infections as the normal ear cleansing solutions do not seem to work well in prevention?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I understand that your pup suffers from chronic ear infections in one ear that the use of Zymox Otic seems to treat nicely.

There are two types of Zymox Otic, both have components that change the pH of the ear and help loosen and remove wax, which makes the ear environment inhospitable for some infectious agents.

The type with hydrocortisone also has a steroid which will reduce inflammation and itchiness and is likely to help with allergic based ear inflammation. Using cortisone for extended periods of time can predispose to secondary infections and changes the integrity of the normal skin, as well as suppressing the adrenal gland and predisposing to diabetes developing. However topically applied cortisone is not absorbed in large amounts systemically, so would be less dangerous than systemic use from oral medication. So we need to be careful with these products, but we can use them long term if needed, just try to use them as little as possible to still achieve control.

If you are using the product without hydrocortisone then that is fine to use consistently long term.

If you are using the product with hydrocortisone try to use it as infrequently as possible, yet still enough to control the symptoms.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian