Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's eyelid is swollen and I wasn't sure if it could be…

Customer Question
My dog's eyelid is...

My dog's eyelid is swollen and I wasn't sure if it could be something serious or something I could treat at home

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Her lower left eyelid is swollen but her eye is fine. It doesn't hurt when I touch it. The other eye is fine.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear your dog's eyelid is swollen. I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change then please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to treat the underlying cause of the swelling

- No rubbing! This can increase an inflammatory response as well as possibly injure the eye. If needed please use a cone or e-collar purchased at your local petstore or vet clinic to prevent rubbing
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound orally every 6-8 hours. If this is some type of a bug bite this should have a positive effect within an hour
- Cool compresses to the eye to help reduce the redness, numb and hopefully decrease swelling

If there is no change within the next few hours please consider a veterinary exam. Topical medication might be needed to the area to reduce the swelling as well as possibly injectable steroids if this is a bite or sting as the cause

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope she is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you and your pet to see if the swelling has subsided? I would love an update when you are able. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian