Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

The last two days my dog has committed almost immediately…

Customer Question
The last two days my...
The last two days my dog has committed almost immediately after eating. Yesterday it was bile and today it was undigested food. Otherwise he is active and his normal self. Do I need to be concerned?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Any diarrhea?

4- Any other symptoms?

No, he does not have any pre-existing conditions. He does take fluoxetine for separation anxiety. He weighs 22 pounds. No diarrhea. The only other symptom I can think of is that he has been less interested in food and treats than normal all week. This morning he threw up 3 times in succession which I'm sure was his entire breakfast.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Hi Kim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Milo. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian