Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a mixed dog, weight is about 30 lbs. age approximate…

Customer Question
I have a mixed dog...
I have a mixed dog, weight is about 30 lbs. age approximate 3 years. I used flea and tic medicine after her bath yesterday and now she is very listless. Is this normal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What is the product you used or its active ingredient? Was it the right dose for Sugar's weight?

Has she had any vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea, seizures, or tremors?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Her gums ar a healthy looking pink, her breathing is 30 and she is just lethargic and no real appetite. The product was Advantage 11. It was for a dog 21 to 55 pounds.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to see that both of those parameters are normal for Sugar.

Can you tell me if you have used this product or that shampoo before?

Any chance she got into anything else?

Any other signs (ie GI upset, coughing, diarrhea, etc)?

we have used the Advantage before. We gave her a bath and then let her dry first then used the Advantage on her. She has been licking her pee spot and it looks pink and she tries to reach her rectum also deep pink. Is this natural?

Hi again,

Now I have to say that I suspect that Advantage is a red herring and not at the root of her current signs. The reason is because has she had it before (so she likely wouldn't react to it now), you gave the right dose, and this drug doesn't tend to cause adverse signs until they have had over 5x an overdose. So, it just doesn't fit as our culprit.

As well, if her urine looks pink that isn't normal and would raise concerns of a possible brewing bladder infection. As well, we can also see pink discoloration in dogs with urine crystal issues, bladder stones, and bladder tumors (though she is a bit young for that). With this all in mind, I would suggest having a check up at this stage. Or at the very least, you can collect a urine sample to have her vet analyse before having her seen. That way we can determine what is causing her abnormal urinary changes and likely get to the root of her listlessness. Depending on her vet's findings, we may just need a course of antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories. But if any of those other concerns were found, then we'd need to obviously take treatment further. But again I suspect the Advantage is innocent here since the signs and situation do not fit with an Advantage allergic reaction.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

**Please make sure to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no further charge for this). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)