Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My female lab is having an issue scratching,on her belly.she

Customer Question

my female lab is having an issue scratching,on her belly.she has no fleas.i think its dry skin from being in the house more during the winter months.is there an over counter creme or lotion i can try.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing these signs?

Any changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, redness, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?
Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?

Even if she has no fleas, can you tell me what flea treatment you use? When did you last apply it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only during winter months.......redness,under her arm pit in front got really bad after playing hard and running with her brother joe who is a yellow lab litter mate.i used neosporin o take care of that.he is not effected at all.no diet change...flea treatment hasn't been given in a while.not sure of the brand.they did get heart worm medicine 16 jan. like i said,she has only had these symptoms lately, she is a water dog big time.and is outside a lot when it is warm.we live in va beach,it is a humid climate.she is in a dry environment,in the house.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see skin irritation of this nature for a range of reasons. Environmental allergens or drying of the skin due to our use of heaters/radiators over the winter could certainly cause what we are seeing with Eva. Of course, just to note any allergen (be it food based, flea saliva, pollen, carpet or laundry powder, etc) could also cause the signs you are seeing. And its important to know that we often only see allergies in one animal (even when related), just as allergy issues can vary between people.

In any case, since she hasn't any skin changes like pimples or pustules requiring prescription treatment, there are some supportive care options we can try with Eva. To start, since these situations tend to affect a diffuse area of skin and our dogs often will lick creams off; topical creams and lotions are not usually of benefit. Neosporin can help with small infected areas but I would note that if we have a small patch of redness; we could instead try OTC hydrocortisone cream. Though when doing so, do monitor her closely or even consider placing an e-collar for the short term to keep her from licking this off or continuing to self-traumatize the skin.

Alternatively, we can find the use of emollient shampoos (ie Episoothe, or oatmeal based ones) to be soothing to the skin in these cases. And if she is mostly affected in the armpit region, I'd also note that you can use a tshirt (which is nice and breathable) to keep the area covered and safe from self-trauma.

Otherwise, we tend to find systemic treatment (treating from the inside out) more beneficial in these cases. If her signs are mild, we can try this at home by using an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first

Overall, her signs do raise concerns of possible seasonal environmental triggers for this irritated skin. Therefore, we can try an OTC hydrocortisone cream but can also use the further treatments I noted. Of course, if her signs are severe or don't settle with these; then we'd want to follow up with her vet so that they can dispense anti-inflammatory medication (ie steroids) or immune modulating medication (ie Atopica, Apoquel) to help soothe this likely seasonal allergy for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANK YOU,very much!!!! those are great ideas i will try them,and if it doesn't work i will get back to you or go to my vet here at home
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad I could give you a plan of action for Eva and wish you both the best. :)

Please take care,

Dr. B.

*Please make sure to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please make sure to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no further charge for this). IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)