Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 17 month old mix ingested one 200mg Advil. He's about

Customer Question

My 17 month old King Charles mix ingested one 200mg Advil. He's about 12-13 pounds and did about one and a half to two hours ago. Do we need to find an emergency hospital for treatment?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Yes, I would recommend getting him to an emergency vet tonight. Before going, though, you can try to induce vomiting by giving 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide orally. If he hasn't vomited in 10 minutes, you can repeat the dose once. At close to 2 hours out, it would be less likely that you will get much, if any, of the pill out, but it is worth a try. After vomiting, I would then get him to the vet to get activated charcoal, have his kidneys enzymes checked and put on intravenous fluids to help flush his system and protect his kidneys. This medication has a very narrow level of safety for dogs and can really damage the kidneys. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?
Dr. John