Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a Bichon Frese and she has a swollen right side…

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a Bichon Frese and she has a swollen right side breast area and the nipple on top of it is red, what could be causing it, incidentally there is a cat at the house that has been sucking on her boob because the cat thinks that the dog is her mother, is it possible that maybe the dog has an infection and what needs to be done?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My dog is a Bichon Frese and she has a swollen right side breast area and the nipple on top of it is red, what could be causing it, incidentally there is a cat at the house that has been sucking on her boob because the cat thinks that the dog is her mother, is it possible that maybe the dog has an infection and what needs to be done

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

It sounds as if you've made the diagnosis. By the principle of Occam's Razor, the cat has broken the nipple skin and you're seeing a bacterial cellulitis (inflammation of the tissue) which may already have abscessed. This would be best addressed with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as amoxicillin-clavulanate (Clavamox) prescribed by your dog's vet. If abscessation has already arisen, surgical lancing, flushing, and establishing drainage might be necessary.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.