Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate alittle of an amaryllis leave

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

According to the Pet Poison Hotline:

Level of toxicity: Generally mild to moderate

Common signs to watch for:

• Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Hypotension (drop in blood pressure)
  • Respiratory depression
  • Abdominal discomfort

The Amaryllis is a part of the large Liliacea family but does not have the same toxic principles as the more common “true” lilies (e.g., Easter, Asiatic, Day, Japanese show, etc.). The plant contains similar toxins to the flowers in the Narcissus group or the Belladonna Amaryllis (the only true Amaryllis). The leaves, stems and bulbs contain phenanthridine alkaloids which can cause vomiting, hypotension (drop in blood pressure) and respiratory depression. Excess salivation and abdominal discomfort can be seen from the raphide oxalate crystals, which are more concentrated in the bulbs.

Poison type: Plants

Alternate names: Liliacea, Narcissus, Belladonna Amaryllis

So since this was a small ingestion with a Frenchie (approximately 20-30 pounds?) recommendations will include taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the plant leaf pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after any increased salivation or vomiting has subsided if he shows this symptom

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Murohy. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian