How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 12463
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate alittle of an amaryllis leave

Customer Question

My dog ate alittle of an amaryllis leave
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

According to the Pet Poison Hotline:

Level of toxicity: Generally mild to moderate

Common signs to watch for:

  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Hypotension (drop in blood pressure)
  • Respiratory depression
  • Abdominal discomfort

The Amaryllis is a part of the large Liliacea family but does not have the same toxic principles as the more common “true” lilies (e.g., Easter, Asiatic, Day, Japanese show, etc.). The plant contains similar toxins to the flowers in the Narcissus group or the Belladonna Amaryllis (the only true Amaryllis). The leaves, stems and bulbs contain phenanthridine alkaloids which can cause vomiting, hypotension (drop in blood pressure) and respiratory depression. Excess salivation and abdominal discomfort can be seen from the raphide oxalate crystals, which are more concentrated in the bulbs.

Poison type: Plants

Alternate names: Liliacea, Narcissus, Belladonna Amaryllis

So since this was a small ingestion with a Frenchie (approximately 20-30 pounds?) recommendations will include taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the plant leaf pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after any increased salivation or vomiting has subsided if he shows this symptom

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Murohy. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman