Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 year old lab ate a box of kleenex, chewed off the

Customer Question
corner of a hardback photo...
My 7 year old lab ate a box of kleenex, chewed off the corner of a hardback photo book and then ate a box of Vicks vapor infused kleenex. Now my vet says she is in kidney failure. He could not tell me if these could have caused it
What can I do to help her besides the iv flush and low fat diet.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 2 years ago
Ola Barrett

Hello I am Dr Ola B and I am a small animal veterinarian. It is highly unlikely that the kidney failure was directly caused by the ingestion of the tissue box and tissue however, it is possible that pancreatitis occurred from that ingestion and pancreatitis can lead to multiple organ failure including kidney failure. At this point, the biggest issue isn't WHAT caused the kidney failure but trying to reduce her kidney values (blood urea nitrogen and creatinine) to get out out of the kidney failure and then maintain that with other means (such as low fat diet). Unfortunately, once dogs are in kidney failure you can only provide treatment with a IV catheter and aggressive fluid therapy until, hopefully, the values decrease.

Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello:) I am just checking in to see how Annabelle is doing?? If you have other questions please let me know. Also, please tahek the time to rate my response for helping you with you question about Annabelle?

Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett