Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What is the mg/kg dose of ibuprofen for dogs

Customer Question
what is the mg/kg dose...
what is the mg/kg dose of ibuprofen for
dogs
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Ibuprofen is not recommended to give to dogs. The dose necessary to help is toxic to their kidneys, so it is not a drug that we give them. As far as human OTC pain medications go, enteric coated aspirin is the only one that is somewhat safe, but it can still cause gastrointestinal bleeding. There are much safer anti-inflammatory pain medications made specifically for dogs, but they do require a prescription from your vet. The website below has more information on OTC medications for dogs. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian