Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 9 year old Shih Tzu named Charley. I also have 2

Customer Question

Good Morning, I have a 9 year old Shih Tzu named Charley. I also have 2 Shelties. They sleep in the garage at night due to coyotes in our area. Six months ago, we had an attic fire which started above the garage. When the smoke detectors went off, my daughter had to literally break the garage door to get them out. So, we are in a rental house and we still put the dogs in the garage to sleep. Charley doesn't want to be in there. He fights me to get back inside. When I do get the door closed, he scratches on it non-stop to get back in. Is this post traumatic stress? I don't want to leave him in the garage if he is scared, but I also can't keep him in the house because he has no problem peeing inside. I have no problem with the other 2 dogs, but Charley seems to be much more sensitive. How can we ALL get a good nights sleep?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your dog! It sounds like he could be suffering from anxiety- either from being separate from you, or from the fire. Does he have a regular vet? Have you discussed this with him? I can give you some info on over the counter products you can try, but if this has been going on for awhile, he likely is going to need a prescription anti anxiety medication to start with at least.