Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Chesapeake bay retriever, age 8. In the past week…

Customer Question
I have a Chesapeake bay...
I have a Chesapeake bay retriever, age 8. In the past week she has started drinking king much more water and eating abt 1/3 as usual. Sleeping a lot, and not interested in normal things.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Kathleen, polydipsia (increased thirst) is a danger sign for quite a few serious disorders - urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, both renal and hepatic insufficiencies, diabetes mellitus and Cushing's disease (she would also be polyphagic/increased hunger and she isn't), pyometra (uterine infection in an intact female), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, hypercalcemia (elevated serum calcium level), and the rarer Addison's disease and diabetes insipidus. Her vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. It's best to fast her for at least 4 hours prior to a blood draw for the most accurate test results. I would be pleased to review those results for you.

Please respond with additional information or further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you, ***** ***** we have an appointment with her usual vet for today. I was especially worried because she is not usually a "cuddly" dog, and she wanted to sleep with me.

I'm pleased to hear that she'll be well-attended to shortly. Yes, her change in behavior is another indication that she doesn't feel well. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? Her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I will upload her test results, though our vet doesn't usually get them immediately. It takes about 4-7 days for blood work.

4-7 days!? Do you live out of the USA?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Salkin, thank you for your prompt advice. Our dog's blood glucose was 324, and now that we have her on insulin she is doing so much better! We have a follow-up tomorrow to check her glucose levels again.

Thank you for the update, Kathleen. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. Give her a kiss for me.

Will do! Thank you much, it was reassuring advice when I couldn't talk to her regular vet.

I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian