Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

All of a sudden my dog is acting like she is sick. she wont…

Customer Question
all of a sudden my...
all of a sudden my dog is acting like she is sick. she wont jump up or down of the couch, i have touched her everywhere to see if she hurts, nothing. It came on very sudden and I know one grape had been missing in a bowl on the table. Is one a reason to rush her to the vet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello Shari,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Shari,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I do not think just one raisin is going to cause any harm whatsoever to a dog of Roxy's size. I say this because the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Centre studies suggest that the lowest documented toxic dose for raisins in the dog is 0.1 oz per kg of the dogs body weight. So from that a 10 kg { 22 pound } dog would have to swallow 1 ounce of raisins before you would be worried. And as there are on average around 25 raisins per ounce you can see that just one is not going to affect Roxy in the slightest. Read more on this HERE

2. So you can discount any danger from the raisin, but while it is hard to work out precisely what is going on it does not sound that serious at present so the best plan might well be just to monitor Roxy for the time being and then as long as she does not deteriorate further you would be taking very little risk in waiting to see your regular vet tomorrow. Of course if things are getting worse or you become further concerned then you should have her seen by an ER vet sooner.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

The same thing applies in your case in grapes as in raisins, ... see the link I sent previously.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Shari,

I am just checking back in to see how Roxi is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the grapes and raisins incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott