Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Why would my dog quit eating and barking at same time will…

Customer Question
Why would my dog quit...
Why would my dog quit eating and barking at same time will drink cold water only she has an enlarged heart can't get her to even take her mess all blood work normal kidneys good liver good not diabetic
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Tracy Ann's situation. How long has she had her heart issue? What medications is she supposed to be on? How long has she not been eating?

Has not ate since fen to present
Enpranel for heart antibiotics but she will not take and hasn't since 6 feb

Thank you for that information. I want to be clear as I can. She hasn't at since February 6 to now? She hasn't eaten anything? When was she last seen by your vet? When did she start the antibiotics?

6 feb

So she hasn't physically eaten anything since February 6? Has she been losing weight? Is she vomiting? What antibiotic is she on?

lost weight antibiotic is amoxicill

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm going to be very honest here and say that with her not eating for that time frame and having weight loss, it has me concerned. Cancer is unfortunately one of those things that can show up like this in ones her age. If all her blood work recently was normal then it climbs up to the top of the list (as long as her heart condition is being managed). Some can have cardiac cachexia where they just start to get thinner and thinner as their heart works so hard due to the underlying heart disease. If she's not had any x-rays taken of her belly / chest, then this would be a very good next diagnostic step. Another diagnostic step to consider after that if an answer isn't found is an ultrasound. Another consideration for something that can look similar is an intestinal foreign body. I've seen a few cases in my career where the dog just stops eating and there is no vomiting with foreign bodies. I'm hoping for the best for this girl.