Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is there a home remedy cough of kennel cough? My dog is

Customer Question
Is there a home remedy...
Is there a home remedy for the cough of kennel cough? My dog is hungry but food and meds come up with cough.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! We do occasionally use Robitussin DM (make sure it is DM, and not one with added tylenol or phenylephrine or anything like that) in dogs. We usually give 1 to 2 mg of medication per kg of body weight, and each teaspoon of medication has 10mg in the teaspooon. How much does your dog weigh?

In some cases, this is not going to be a strong enough medicine for the cough and your dog may need prescription strength cough medication with something like codeine in it.

No way this answer came to me at the time indicated. Myjustanswer had me chasing nonexistent passwords and marketing of your monthly plans including the legal Just answer. The answer from the veterinarian came after 10 PM. Too late to be helpful and I had to use other resources. This was unsatisfactory and any charges will be challenged.

I am sorry you weren't able to access your answer in a timely manner. I will send your question to the site moderator so they know about your frustration!

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian