Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 1 year old kelpie is rapidly loosing weight. She has…

Customer Question
Our 1 year old kelpie...
Our 1 year old kelpie is rapidly loosing weight. She has lost her wag and her bounce. Hunched hind quarters with tail tucked with pain when you lift it which vet says is due to damaged coccyx. He did a rectal examination and no obvious grass seeds embedded or obstruction obvious. Had a course of anti inflammatories. she has got worse and skinnier. She eats soft food but was in pain in her mouth or throat as she was eating something this morning. Passing faeces still but firm . Had all her needles etc. I gave her a dose of Advocate wormer a few days ago ,a month earlier than the Propontal is due to see if this was the problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Has she had any bloodwork run?

Can you check her gum color- is it pink, pale, yellow, blue?

Is she vomiting or having diarrhea?

How much does she eat per day?

No blood tests done.
The gums are greyish pink, no vomiting or diarrhea. She will eat an egg, 250 gm can of Pedigree Vital and only nibble at the Advantage dog biscuits. I have tried other brands to no avail. She seems to be like this since January 20th when we had a big flood 127 mls in 2 days and the ground all around her kennel was boggy. We live on farm, no chemicals nearby, She was weighed by vet on 5 Feb and was 15 kg now 12 kg.

Thanks for the additional info.

My first step here would be running some bloodwork. I would also do a fecal examination. This would rule out kidney disease, liver disease, a liver shunt, abnormal white blood cell counts and anemia. The fecal exam will help to rule out certain worms (rounds, hooks) and coccidia. It's not going to rule out whips or Giardia.

If everything is normal, I would probably treat with a general dewormer (Panacur) and an antibiotic that also treats Giardia (Metronidazole).

If the signs didn't turn around, then I would go in surgically and explore the abdomen. I would take biopsy samples of the intestine, liver and lymph nodes. This would be to help rule out IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) or other infiltrative diseases of the intestine (Lymphangiectasia).

Here are a couple hand outs on IBD and lymphangiectasia to read over, as that may be what we're dealing with:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=598

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1381

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.