Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I need a definite solution to m y dog eating her stool, ive…

Customer Question
i need a definite solution...
i need a definite solution to m y dog eating her stool, ive tried prpoducts from petco and they don't work, i have also tried old remedies like putting hot sause or vinegar which doesn't seem to work either. if she has a defiency of some sort let me know she is 8 mos. old
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your problem! Can you tell me what food your dog is eating? How do her stools appear? Are they loose at all? do they appear to have any undigested food? Is this a new problem or has she always done this?

She eats purina puppy chow.her stool is not loose and she has always had this problem since ive had her.

Ok. Unfortunately, I have bad news for you in the sense that this is not a problem you are going to be able to easily fix. The good news is that this is not usually a health problem or a problem that is going to make your dog ill. It is mainly just gross for people to see and know about! This is actually thought to be a pretty natural behavior in dogs. If your dog is not having diarrhea, and is eating a good quality food (purina is fine for most dogs) and is getting enough food (isn't underweight) then this isn't likely a health problem. Some dogs can have a digestive enzyme deficiency that can lead to stool eating, but with these dogs we usually see underweight dogs who are always starving and who have greasy foul smelling loose stools.

It doesn't sound like that is the case with your dog. This is likely a behavior she has picked up from her mother and littermates and now it has become a regular part of her behavior. If the products such as For-bid (the powders you put on the food) do not deter her, then you are going to have to go out and pick up her poop to prevent her from eating it, or your will just have to accept the fact that she is going to eat her poop. There isn't going to be an easy solution to this. You may break her of the habit if you prevent her from doing it (by going outside with her and picking up the poop as soon as she goes) for an extended period of time (weeks or months), then she may forget about how much she liked eating poop and stop. But it isn't a gaurantee. Here is an article with more information on this issue:

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/coprophagia-the-scoop-on-poop-eating-in-dogs

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Izzy. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay