Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a BIG clump of fuzz that came out of an aloe sock…

Customer Question
My dog ate a BIG...
My dog ate a BIG clump of fuzz that came out of an aloe sock about 5 days ago, he was ok as far as I knew. He is now throwing up every meal since Monday night. What can I do????
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and Theodore. I'm sorry that he is ill at the moment. From what you are saying I am quite concerned about him, to be honest. My main concern is that some of the big clump of fuzz has become lodged in his intestines and is blocking the passage of food through him.

From what you are saying, his history sounds classic for this condition. For the first few days, while whatever caused the blockage is working its way through (the fuzz, in this case), the patient appears fine. Eventually it reaches a narrower section of intestine and becomes stuck. When this happens, you start to notice problems - the food gets to the blockage, can't get any further, and comes back up again. You are right to try feeding him little and often - the fact that this hasn't worked backs up the probability of a blockage.

Unfortunately, when this happens the only cure is surgery to physically go in there and remove the obstruction. If it isn't removed, then it can damage the intestines and eventually is fatal. The good news is that if it is removed then the patients do very well with no long-term effects at all. I think, as this is a potentially life-threatening condition, the only thing you can realistically do is get Theodore checked out by a vet. An x-ray (which doesn't need an anaesthetic and takes five minutes) can easily tell if Theodore is blocked or not. If he is, then like I said he will need urgent surgery to treat him. If he isn't, then carrying on with the bland diet and possibly some medications to calm his stomach (zantac is a good one) would help. Having said that, I really think that he needs an x-ray, and I worry for him if he has something blocked. There really isn't anything else you can do at this point.

I hope I've helped - and sorry that I think he needs a vet visit, but there are simply some things that you cannot deal with at home. If you have any questions from this or need clarification on anything then just get back to me. Otherwise, please leave a positive rating. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Theodore. How is everything going?
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian