Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My name is ***** *****. I have a 12week old shit zu poodle

Customer Question
Hi..my name is ***** *****...
Hi..my name is ***** *****. I have a 12week old shit zu poodle mix puppy. In the last 30min she has been acting disoriented wobbly cant stand up. When i stand her up she wobbles real bad then falls over. Shes unresponsive when i call her name. Her eyes are open.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Shes a 12 week old puppy. Shes unresponsive when i call her name. Shes wobbly when i stand her up she wobbles and falls over.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

The first thing to reach for is a concentrated sucrose/glucose syrup such as Karo. Hypoglycemia should be suspected in any miniature puppy acting in that manner. Dosing is empirical but approximates 1 mL (1/5 of a teaspoon) per 1 lb of body weight. You should see a positive effect within 30 minutes. If you don't have such a syrup at home, please run her over to her vet who can administer the glucose intravenously. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish and please keep me posted.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian