Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Last night my 3 year old dog was in some bushes and yelped.

Customer Question
I called for her and...
Last night my 3 year old dog was in some bushes and yelped. I called for her and she came. Her nose was bloody but I didn't see any scratches, bites or anything lodged in her nostrils. She sneezed heavily for an hour. Today she is lethargy and doesn't want to eat or drink.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.Is there any discharge coming out of her nose?If so, what does it look like?
There was blood last night but nothing today. She's prone to snorting and grunting but it is worse today.
Thanks for the information. I am still worried that something lodged into her nose. It can lodge further up where you cannot see with the naked eye. I cannot completely rule out that there may be an internal issue with liver, kidney, pancreas or other organs; but given the history, I would say it is probably in the nose. Now, if there is a blood clotting disorder, that may account for the bleeding without seeing a wound, but that doesn't account for her yelping. Either way, I would get her into your vet today to see if they can do a more thorough exam into her nostrils and potentially run blood work if nothing is found. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian