Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What is wrong with my dog? It has two red blisters on it's

Customer Question
What is wrong with my...
What is wrong with my dog? It has two red blisters on it's eyelids. I have a photo.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm curious to see the photos that you have. Can you use the paper clip icon to attach them?

I have to admit that those blisters are extremely prominent. How long have they been there? Did they start small and then grow? Is he rubbing at them or holding his eyes shut like they are painful?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't seem to bother him, and they just appeared overnight. Gotta tell you that this is my daughter's dog, so I don't know what other factors might be involved. She has a drug filled lifestyle.

That is good that they aren't bothering him. I'll be honest and say that I've never seen anything quite like what he has! The odd thing is that they are bilateral (symmetrical) on the same location of the upper eyelid. Could this be some sort of reaction to something? Could this be some meibomian gland issue like a stye type situation? With his age being 2, it would seem a cancerous situation would be pretty unlikely. Could it be something infectious? I'm not familiar with anything that would have lesions appearing like this. The way those appear, it looks like he may have an issue completely blinking so it is important to keep the eyes moist. Honestly, I would recommend a quick trip to the vet so they can first hand evaluate this up close. Could they aspirate one of those swellings and look at the material on a slide under a microscope? That is what I'd consider. They may fall back on starting a topical steroid and antibiotic ointment to topically treat the area and do cool compresses to see if the swelling goes down. More than likely the area will be monitored as far as response to therapy and to see what needs to be the next step. I'm hoping for some reaction of sorts.

I would consider then aspirating it to look at material from it on a slide. This may be the course to get an answer. It is something that some vets feel comfortable doing. It would most likely take a little sedation to do this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We're in small town USA, and the vet is not comfortable aspirating it. Says it looks like clear fluid with little blood. Anything I can do otherwise?

I'm sorry in my delay as I got pulled away. If your vet doesn't feel comfortable aspirating it (and doing this around the eye can be a little unnerving), then they may just start up a combination topical antibiotics and steroid ointment to see what happens. That combined with time and cool compresses on it may have improvement on it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your advice. It was worth more than the little I paid.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At least you have a picture to show others. It's definitely a conversation starter. Lol

I'm extremely curious to know how this turns out. I would appreciate it greatly if you could write back in a few days to give me an update!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have passed on your recommendations to my daughter. I hope that she will follow thru with the drops and compress. I will certainly follow up with you.

I would again greatly like to know how things turn out. I truly believe that each and every day is a chance to see new things and to expand what you know!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi there Dr. Bruce. They tried a course of antibiotics to no avail. The dog is responding well to a steroidal medication and the abscesses have receded quite a bit. Thank you again for your input.

That is good that they are responding to the steroids. That would lead to the suspicion of an allergic / inflammatory type reaction. I'm hoping that things continue to respond and get back to normal.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian