Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 14 1/2 years old. past month he won't eat or take…

Customer Question
My dog is 14 1/2...
My dog is 14 1/2 years old. For the past month he won't eat or take his medications easily. He's lost weight and is very weak. He still drinks water and is urinating okay. No bowel movement for last day and a half, but then again he hasn't eaten anything since this past Monday night except for two small pieces of cheese last night. I have fixed him chicken, fish, steamed veggies, steak and lean hamburger. He has a heart condition and chronic renal failure. He was on a renal diet but he won't even consider eating this food now. He's also on 5mg of Benazapril for improved heart and kidney function, but this will be day two that he has refused to take his meds. He's also on Geri-Form for anemia but he has refused to take that for two weeks. I used to be able to dab some peanut butter on it to get him to take it but he won't even consider tasting peanut butter now. I took him to the vet two weeks ago because of the appetite issue and his loss of weight. They suggested that his teeth be scaled. They managed to scale one tooth manually. They gave me antibiotics to give him and I did manage to give him that medication except for two doses. Should I continue to keep him here at home and make him as comfortable as I can or do I take him back to the vet? I'm afraid they'll want to do all sorts of tests that will stress him out and not really do anything to turn the situation around. Appreciate any guidance you can give me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has he had any breathing changes (ie breathing faster than 30 breaths a minute when at rest)?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking or vomiting?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian