Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

20 lb dog ingested some aluminum foil. I 't think it was a…

Customer Question
Dave. 20 lb...

Dave. 20 lb dog ingested some aluminum foil. I Don't think it was a large quantity.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I'm going by the amount LeftOver on the carpet, that I picked up; to make the statement I don't think it was maybe a couple inches square.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, monitor your dog and see what happens. In my experience, most dogs will get away with this type of thing and you will see no ill effects. This was just a small piece of foil and hopefully your dog bit the foil into further fragments, the chances are it will and it just pass straight through your dog's digestive system.

2. One thing that might help matters is to feed your dog quite a few slices of bread or some mashed potato as it may form round the aluminium foil fragments and cushion them to some extent and so help protect your dog's intestinal tract lining as the foil passes along. This can be very effective.

3. However be aware that though that there is a very small chance that a problem could occur here due to damage to the intestinal tract. So monitor your dog carefully over the next few days for any odd symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if such occur contact your vet without delay.

That said, in my experience most dogs will get away with this sort of incident involving aluminium foil, it is a common event ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I will accept the initial answer by the Vet/Expert. Problem is I had already submitted an add'l $36, initially going to pursue more detailed help. I actually went back and Logged Off. I received an email from PayPal, saying the $36 payment already got submitted. How do I get my refund >?
I am still waiting for a reply, please !

Hello again,

No problem I will be glad to contact the site admin on your behalf, I will do so within the next five minutes or so ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi, I have contacted the site admin on your behalf.

Please get back to me if I can help you further ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I was just checking back in to see how your dog was doing after the aluminium foil episode?

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian