Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Out dog is 7 year old Boxer has excessive thirst and pee…

Customer Question
Out dog is 7 year...
Out dog is 7 year old Boxer has excessive thirst and pee looks green and is peeing in house now
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry that your fellow is drinking excessively, having urinary accidents in the house, and his urine has a greenish cast to it.
There are many reasons to have these symptoms.
We often think of a urinary tract infection but also crystals or stones in the urinary tract, or if he isn't neutered a reproductive tract infection, are possible causes. In some cases of severe liver disease bilirubin (pigments increased with a poorly functioning liver) will make the urine appear green and can lead to increased thirst as the body tries to process excess wastes that the liver hasn't cleared.

Does he have a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F)?

Is he eating normally?

Is he lethargic?
He does need to see his veterinarian.
If he were my patient I'd start with a urinalysis with culture and radiographs of his abdomen to look at his prostate, kidneys and bladder for signs of stones and the size and shape of his prostate. We may need an abdominal ultrasound to identify some urinary calculi and masses in his bladder or prostate.
If money was very tight and there were signs of infection on the urinalysis then an antibiotic prescription for 10 to 14 days would be reasonable to start.
If I saw lots of crystals or abnormal looking cells on the urinalysis I'd warn the owner that things may be more serious. And if there were high levels of bilirubin then I would caution that blood tests should be done to look at his organ function.
And I'd recommend a recheck of his urine at the end of the antibiotic therapy. If there was still symptoms or straining then radiographs or an ultrasound of his bladder/kidneys is needed.
With his symptoms I would be most suspicious of an infection or bladder calculi. But as I listed above there are several other possibilities.
All you can do for him at home is encourage fluid intake to flush out his urinary tract. Add water or low salt beef or chicken broth to his food or feed him canned food to encourage eating and increase his fluid intake.
Give him ice cubes. Offer him fresh water frequently.
And make sure he gets out frequently to urinate.
If he is straining but unable to pass any urine and is vomiting, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure, or his gums become very pale it is time for emergency veterinary care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful, please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara