Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

What can I do to get my dog to stop licking her paws? She is

Customer Question

What can I do to get my dog to stop licking her paws? She is already on Benadryl any other suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What are you feeding her?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- How many milligrams of benadryl are you giving her and how often?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She gets Purina Pro Plan All Life Stages Lamb and Rice.
She weighs 21 lbs.
She gets a 25MG Benadryl morning and night.
She is seizure dog so she also gets Phenobarbital and potassium bromide.
She has been on bendadryl for awhile because she is itchy all the time and that is what was suggested and the licking just started a month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Does she have any sores in her paws?

2- Is she licking all 4 paws, front or just 1 paw?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She licks them all, to where they are red constantly. On one front paw she is starting to get a sore.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, as you already know it sounds like Lola is suffering from allergies (food or environmental). Besides treating her paws topically for any sores I would also recommend you consider doing a food trial for 6-8 weeks. This is what you can do:

1- Change her diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d, this food is only available through your veterinarian. Or, you can try a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what she normally has had in the past. For example: If she seldom ate fish then put her on a food that has fish. You can buy a grain free diet over the counter in any pet store. When on the new diet she should not eat anything else or she will not improve, no table food. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement. For treats you can give veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots, etc.

2- If she is not doing well on Benadryl you can try a different anti histamine like Chlorpheniramine 2mg every 8-12 hours.

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

For the sores on her paws this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above discuss with your vet about using a medication called Apoquel for allergies.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you not give the prescription for the food? So I can pick it up at petsmart or order online?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

By law in order for a veterinarian to write a prescription one must first examine the patient. For this reason I can not write the prescription as I have not examined your dog, I am sorry. You can go to your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. Once she is examined by the attending veterinarian they will be able to write the prescription.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter