Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Gabby I have a 4 yr old male German shepherd he vomited this…

Customer Question
Hello dr. Gabby I have...
Hello dr. Gabby I have a 4 yr old male German shepherd he vomited this morning with white and mucus like vomit with small specks of blood. He is lathargic and seems a little weak. He did not want to eat lastnight or eat a biscuit this morning but still drinks watter, are these signs of a bad condition. He was active and acting normal yesterday evening.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. It appears the expert you requested is not online. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. Or, please let me know if you would prefer to wait for Dr. Gabby.

Hi dr. Peter any advice is welcomed. Thank you

OK, I just have some questions for you to give me a better understanding of what is happening.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is he on any medications?

4- How much does he weigh?

5- Any other symptoms?

No he has not eaten out of the ordinary. He eats blue buffalo and very little table scraps. He has been on anti inflammatory and pain medication in the past it's been about a yr since he's taken any medication. He ate a box of chocolate exactly a yr ago he got his stomach pumped and I.v. but has been fine ever since. He is about 83 ib.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

He did eat a lot of snow a couple weeks ago in the mountains he got the shivers really bad and urinated all night could he have gotten sick from that

Friend, when we see mucus with blood in the vomit this is a sign of inflammation in the upper gastrointestinal tract. Or, there could be something damaging the wall of either the esophagus (tube connecting stomach to mouth), stomach or first part of the intestines. This can be caused by many different medical conditions; it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, tumors, parasites or even part of a systemic disease. This is not related to him eating snow. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 7-10 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, xrays and blood work as initial screening test.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter