Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog is vomiting and there are pieces of plastic from the toy he ate, bowzer and he is 6 months old, no he's pretty

Customer Question
He is vomiting and...

He is vomiting and there are pieces of plastic from the toy he ate

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Bowzer and he is 6 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bowzer?

No he's pretty normal

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like you may be dealing with a foreign body obstruction. Plastic, as I'm sure you know, does not digest in the stomach or intestines. The vomiting may be due to one of 2 things. It's either because he has an obstruction or it's just irritation from the plastic in the stomach.

X-rays are needed to determine if there is an obstructive pattern in the small intestine. If so, then surgery will be needed to remove the obstruction. If the x-rays are normal, then I would treat with anti-nausea meds and fluids and allow him to pass any pieces still present. Usually once they start vomiting, it's due to an obstruction. There's a chance he won't need surgery, but I'd venture to guess that surgery is going to be in his future.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?