Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My veterinarian will not give me a prescription so I'm able…

Customer Question
My veterinarian will not give...
My veterinarian will not give me a prescription for Rimadyl so I'm able to purchase it online. He explains that many online companies do not provide the correct medication. Therefore, I am spending approx. $100 each month from his establishment which I have done so for over a year. He indicates that he is keeping the price as low as he can.
After browsing several websites, I note that there is a generic brand, carpofen, which is available . Also, there is a standard awarded to those companies that met to certain regulations which is indicated on their websites.
My questions: Is he correct? Can I trust the online sites that guarantee they are reputable by displaying a symbol that they comply? Is the generic brand, carpofen a viable substitute for Rimadyl? Is this a common attitude from many vets?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, Carprofen is the generic form of Rimadyl and is the same drug with the same effects. Therefore, they can be used interchangeably to keep costs down.

Otherwise, while I too have heard stories of questionable online pharmacy sites and mistakes being made, I can say that from personal experience none of my patients have had any issues over the years with medications from reputable and certified online pharmacies (ie Dr. Foster & Smith). So, it is a risk, but problems are not common and this is a tool my practice often uses to help keep costs down for our patients. So, it is a viable alternative and your vet is legally required to offer prescriptions if you prefer to have one as opposed to direct dispensing from them. Therefore, you can choose to use an online pharmacy (or perhaps see if your vet will price match the online offers for Carprofen that you are looking at for your wee one).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

**Please make sure to rate my answer as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply tome via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian