Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

3mo old pup liquid runs, liquid coming from the mouth and…

Customer Question
3mo old pup liquid runs...
3mo old pup liquid runs, liquid coming from the mouth and whining stomach is not tender to touch , ate a stick and rock both have passed. Gave 2cc pepto but not helping she weighs about 15 lbs
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Is she actually vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

What color has the diarrhea and vomit been? Any blood?

When did you give the Pepto? Did the vomiting/upper GI signs start after that?

Between Fri and Sat morning she was sleeping a lot . Sat afternoon I found that she had bitten through 2 plugged in cords. Vomited 1 time, she is keeping water down,gums pink and moist, no blood in stool or vomit. Pepto was given at 10:00 pm. She is salivating so much it is running out of her mouth and ends up soaking anything she lays her head on, the whining just started a couple hrs ago. She is up to date on all shots.
Been more aggressive toward older male, he's 11 yrs, and toward me also.

Thank you,

Belle sounds like quite a challenge with everything she has been eating. Now hopefully there are no burns or damage to her mouth from those cords and hopefully she hasn't eaten anything else we do not know about. This is especially important with her having upper and lower GI signs. Because while this could be infectious (viral, bacterial, protozoal, etc), we'd be especially concerned about gut irritation from what she ate and what could still be in the gut. Even more so since changes in behaviour like that can be a sign of pain despite her not reacting to your palpation of her belly.

With this all in mind, we need to tread with great care here. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I would note that if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

If she can and steadies, we can then start her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Finally, since there's is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. Pepto Bismol isn't advisable here since it can cause stomach irritation with its aspirin component. So, instead, we'd want to use something gentler on the stomach like Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. As well, it can help to add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to her food to again bulk up feces, slow diarrhea, and help push anything else hiding in her gut.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing but I am concerned that these current ones are due to gut trauma from what she ate or something else lurking. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 8-12 hours (since she is young and there is a real dehydration risk); then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

She does feel warmer then usual when she lays on or against me and I have tried the rice. She recently got heart worm meds that gave her the same runs . Now she starting to shake a little bit, her diet is Blue puppy food have been feeding her that since 8 wks old is that okay with her upset stomach

Hi again,

If she is warm, she may have a fever and that could be a sign we have an infectious agent challenging her immune system. So, we need to tread with care and she may need antibiotics from her vet to clear this.

Otherwise, you can try her usual diet once the antacid is on board, but we do tend to like those lighter options because they are easier to digest. That means the body takes up more and less is left over to become diarrhea. So, you can try her usual food but the light diet options I noted are better in cases like this.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

I have some left over from a uti from January 28th its amoxicillin if its still good how much should I give her now she was 7.4 lbs and I was giving her 1cc should I double it and give her 2cc now or more?

Hi again,

If this was the oral suspension you have, then its only good for 14 days. Therefore, if its from last month, we'd be concerned that it won't be effective. As well, a left over volume is not ideal since we'd not want to treat for less then 7 days (especially since partial courses or partly functioning antibiotics would raise a risk of resistance). So, this doesn't sound like an ideal situation and something we'd want to use here. So, its best not to but if you wished to do so you can read more about dosing HERE.

Take care,

Dr. B.

* Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Belle. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian