Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a rat terrier. he is about 8 years old. he will not

Customer Question

i have a rat terrier. he is about 8 years old. he will not let you clip his nails. i have to take him to a vet and they put him to sleep and cut his nails and clean his teeth once a year. the problem he has is on one of his rear foot he has one nail that is like a super nail. it grows about three times faster than all his other nails, is rela wide , and grows out at a angle. after about three weeks after it is cut it grows so fast it starts hitting the ground so he runs around on three legs. you can't even touch it so it must be painful. i asked my vet if there was a procedure to permanently remove the nail. she wasn't sure but said she would not do it. i think getting it permanently remove would greatly increase his quality of life.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about this toenail on your rat terrier. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

To remove the nail, you have to remove the last toe bone. That bone grows the nail. If you just remove the nail it will grow back. If you remove that bone, the nail won't grow back but his foot may then be painful from the loss of the bone.

When we declaw cats, it is easier because that last bone is used in cats to retract and extend the claws. That is not the case with dogs; they actually walk on that bone. So we can't declaw dogs like we can cats. If a vet is willing to remove part of his toe, then that nail would be gone.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer. Was this helpful? Can I answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?