Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 4 month old bulldog swallowed a small round ham bone from

Customer Question

My 4 month old bulldog swallowed a small round ham bone from a ham steak, what should I do. He seems fine it happened this morning he's been eating but I'm so worried!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Tracie,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Tracie

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, monitor your Bulldog and see what happens. There is really not many other options as it would be contraindicated to induce vomiting to make him sick to recover the bone fragment because objects like bones can cause problems on the way back up. In my experience most dogs will get way with this, it is a common occurrence which vets advise on frequently.

2. When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers. For your dogs to swallow this bone whole the chances are it will be small enough to pass without problem. Also some digestion and softening of bones is possible by the stomach acids which will help it eventually pass as well.

3. However there are no guarantees and occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems related to dogs and bones such as intestinal tract damage and blockage. You would be therefore wise to monitor your Bulldog for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet again without delay if you do see such symptoms. This would be generally unlikely though.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Tracie,

I am just checking back in to see how your Bulldog pup is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the ham bone incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?