Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

How can i get rid of mange cheaply dog

Customer Question

how can i get rid of mange cheaply for my dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I'm sorry no expert has jumped in to answer your question, but the bad news is there is no over-the-counter option. First, you need to know what type of mange you are contending with. Is this demodex or sarcoptes? Did your veterinarian perform a skin scrape to diagnose this is actually mange because many other skin issues (bacterial infection, yeast infection and ringworm) also look like mange and are itchy. So, the first step is to know exactly what you are trying to treat.

For sarcoptic mange, there is a 6 weeks treatment done every 14 days that is fairly straight forward but must be carefully dosed with a prescription medication. For demodex this takes a long time to clear (6-18 weeks) and requires fairly intensive treatment. Any secondary bacteria/yeast infections must also be treated.

So, the bad news is there is no cheap over-the-counter option. You need to have your veterinarian diagnose what is going on and then get prescription medication to clear.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey