Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 3 wks old puppy can I give her some robitussin DM…

Customer Question
I have a 3 wks...
I have a 3 wks old puppy can I give her some robitussin DM
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. This puppy is way too young to give Robitussin DM. It would not be a good idea. If a puppy this young is coughing, it is most likely due to an infection in some sort. In those cases, the cough is actually a protective mechanism to get the infection out. If coughing, she needs to be on antibiotics instead. I would get her into see your vet tomorrow. Puppies this young have a very low tolerance for respiratory infections. They can develop into a pneumonia very easily. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John