Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have given her pedia lite and honey. She is a shitzu

Customer Question
terrier cross She has a...
I have given her pedia lite and honey. She is a shitzu terrier cross She has a strong heartbeat. She is a shitzu terrier cross 8 years old.She has a loose tooth could that be causing all these symptoms. She is just walking walking dazed like.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your shih tzu cross has been walking around dazed - how long has she been like this? Are there any other symptoms right now like vomiting, diarrhea, or inappetance (not eating)?

You're doing right with the honey - this will help keep her blood sugar up if she's not eating or even if she is eating but not enough. Acting dazed can be a sign of a whole lot of different diseases. You are right to be worried that maybe that bad tooth is bothering her. Unfortunately, beyond that, the list of diseases that can make a dog act oddly in a vague sort of way is very long. It's definitely a good idea to have her examined by your vet as soon as you can. If you have any other information on what's going on and other questions, please reply for me.

Thanks

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

I feel so bad for her she will sit on a recliner keep inching forward and fall off. Will bring her bed out and put it on the floor. She was like this on Friday after giving her vita cal which the vet gave me she was running around like a young puppy and now walks around in a daze. could she have had a stroke. She know hopped on the couch maybe will relax.

I'm sorry but I'm just now finishing up for the night and heading to bed - I can't continue with our conversation but I'll make the other experts aware that you're still in need of assistance. Please don't rate this conversation since we aren't finished yet :)

~Dr. Sara

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Please give me an update on Leah. Walking around "dazed" - aimless pacing often in a circle - suggests encephalopathy (brain disorder). Both primary brain disorders such a brain tumor and secondary brain disorders caused by a problem elsewhere in Leah's body such as a poorly functioning liver need to be considered. A bad tooth isn't expected to cause such behavior. Strokes usually cause vocalization, a profound change in mentation (mental status) such as obtundation or coma, and seizures. Transient ischemic attacks (TIAs/mini-strokes) are possible, however, and can manifest in a variety of ways depending upon where they occur in the brain.

I finally had to get some rest last night she ate all her food drank all her water and pedia lite was rather normal now is pacing again may have to call the vet to see what is going on. She does pee and poop so that is functioning. I gave her more vita cal this morning.

Thnak you for the update. Her pacing again is worrisome. Yes, she needs to attention of her vet who is likely to recommend diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and if nothing untoward is found such testing, may refer Leah to a specialist veterinary neurologist for additional testing.

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.