Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My poodle is almost 16 she has developed dark scabs all over…

Customer Question
My poodle is almost 16...
My poodle is almost 16 she has developed dark scabs all over her body that will fall off when you brush her but they look terrible. What can I do for her. I don't want to take her to the groomer anymore because they are so bad.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Does she scratch often?

Are the scabs red and irritated?

Are you able to take a picture of one of the scabs and post it to your next message?

She does not scratch that much but she is always knawing at her leg if she has one on it or even on her foot. They are not red they are very dark brown. I might be able to take a picture.

Thanks. A picture may help greatly.

sorry it is not working out for that picture

Thanks for the information. There are a couple things to consider here. It may be an issue with her oil glands or thyroid levels. My concern is that it may be a skin infection you are seeing. Either way, the scabs are developing because of a medical issue. You can try bathing her in an anti-seborrheic shampoo and putting her on fish oils, but I would highly recommend having your vet check this out to see if it may be an infection, skin mites (most likely Demodex, which is a normal inhabitant of the skin and not contagious but expresses with immune system dysfunction), a thyroid problem or an oil gland problem. It sounds more than just a simple fix with a shampoo or supplement. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian