Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

About 2 months ago our dog (about 2 yrs old) had 2 episodes…

Customer Question
about 2 months ago our...
about 2 months ago our dog (about 2 yrs old) had 2 episodes of diarrhea & vomting in the house. She had never had an accident inside before. She was also having on & off diarrhea on her walks. Took 2 stool samples to our vet, both were negative. Our vet put her on Flagyl & also worming meds (2 doses 3 weeks apart). She was fine with normal stools for about 6 weeks. Then a repeat of above, back to the vet, again Flagyl x5days. has been fine for 1 week and today had diarrhea & vomited once. Has had the same diet for months. She is a rescue, we have had her since early July, had been treated by foster mom for parasites, heart worm and other issues - she had been a stray for some time but this all occurred last April. She was extremely difficult to feed for the first few months but has been on the same diet for 4-5months - 1 can of Instinct chicken mixed with cooked chicken w/rice and 1cup dry Instinct divided into 2 meals daily. She has maintained her weight (has gained 6lbs since we have had her, she was quite underweight in the beginning) We have not changed her treats or anyhting else.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Unfortunately if there is an underlying process going on (food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease to name a few) then the gi tract will be more susceptible to giardia, bacterial overgrowth, clostridia, campylobacter which can result in further gi issues

So that leaves you with a few options

1.) Doing a food allergy trial. Surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra

-During the food trial she cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies

2.) Starting a probiotic from your veterinarian such as proviable which is a probiotic that has no meat based products in it.

3.) Unfortunately if the diarrhea does not change or becomes looser throughout the day then the recommendation is going to be more aggressive. Abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the thickness of the intestinal tract layers throughout and possible endoscopy/ colonoscopy to evaluate and biopsy the layers of the intestinal tract with a camera and without an invasive surgery to rule out issues such as inflammatory bowel disease or other intestinal diseases

4.) Lastly, there is a blood test to ensure the pancreas is not part of the problem and this is a specific test called a tli, folate, cobalamin level that is sent to a lab in Texas to rule out this condition

I have a food allergy dog and this can be quite a challenging situation. She is on the royal canin h/p formula longterm and whenever she gets anything else she breaks with loose stools :(

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!