Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is bleeding from s mouth - bright red blood - lots of…

Customer Question
my dog is bleeding from...
my dog is bleeding from his mouth - bright red blood - lots of it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
it appears as though he cut his lip - we don't know how
2/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! For the moment, I would get an ice pack or bag of frozen vegetables, wrap in a thin towel, and use it to apply pressure to the wound. This will help constrict the blood vessels and help clotting begin.

we tried that he won't let us keep it on his mouth.

Then you are going to have to take him in to your vet, or an emergency vet. If it is bleeding heavily, it is likely going to need stitches. Where on his mouth is the wound?

the wound is on the right side of his mouth

On the outside of the lip? inside the mouth?

it appears just inside the edge of his lip.

If he is fighting you and getting away from you, you may need to take a towel or blanket and wrap him like a burrito in it, so that he cannot escape you while you apply pressure to the area, and then as I said, if it is actively bleeding heavily, then he needs to get to the vet. If the wound is on the inside of his lip, it may be harder for it to clot on its own at home because it is going to be constantly getting wet from the saliva in his mouth!

Where is an emergency wet in Bolingbrook or at least near and open on Sunday?

Bolingbrook illinois?

There is one in Lisle, IL: (###) ###-####/p>

http://emergencyvetlisle.com/

Also:

VCA Aurora at(###) ###-####- 2600 West Galena; Aurora

VCA Arboretum View at(###) ###-####-***** Downers Grove

If you have any other questions, please let me know!

If you do not, please take a moment to click and RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay