Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate s nylon collar.. All except the metal parts...

Customer Question

My dog ate his nylon collar.. All except the metal parts... What should I do?
Thanks for your time.
Chuck
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he ate it?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He ate it between 8 pm till 7 am
He is 9 months old and he probably weighs 25lbs?...
Have the peroxide
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the concern would be a possible obstruction with the ingestion of the nylon material. You can try to induce vomiting, normally we like to induce vomiting within 2 hours of ingestion. However, in my experience I find that often these types of foreign body can stay in the stomach for days. I would try to induce vomiting. This is what you can try:

1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the nylon pieces in the vomit change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the nylon material in the feces. Make sure you are checking his stool for the pieces. If you do not find the pieces in the stool within 48 hours I would have him checked by family vet for xrays with barium.

4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!