Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

A hoy spot on her underside paw
, a 10 year old welsh

Customer Question

a hoy spot on her underside paw
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a 10 year old welsh spinger apniel
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes a springer
JA: What is the springer's name?
Customer: Mollie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mollie?
Customer: She has an immune deficiency and her front feet are more splayed out than normal so she walks a little floppy
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: It is not a wound just a sore red area at the interior of her paw the size of a dime
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This type of lesion could be many different issues. I am not sure it is related to her immune-deficiency, unless she has a dermatological immune mediated disease.

With a red sore on her paw, it could be a focal infection (bacterial, yeast) or a tumor or an area of trauma or an aggravated bite. There are other possibilities. This is probably something, if it persists and/or is worsening, given her age you must have your veterinarian evaluate since tumor is on the list as a potential.

In the meantime until you can get her in to be seen, I recommend cleanse the area well. You can do a paw bath (not full body bath unless you would like) with either a cleansing dog shampoo (not medicated over-the-counter shampoo, though) or you could use Selsun Blue original as made for people (but do not let her eat the shampoo). Then you may safely apply neosporin or other antibiotic ointment to this two to three time daily. She will probably lick this off. If it is highly irritating to her (licking a lot) then you may need to put her in an Elizabethan collar (the lampshade collar) or place a sock over the paw but be careful not to bandage it tightly. This may buy you some time, but unless this is a traumatic lesion, I do not think it will resolve on its own, and your veterinarian will need to do an exam.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I put a sock on her foot with tape and keep her from licking it will that help? I have bactroban here as well should I use that instead of neosporin/
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that often works well. Sometimes, though, if it is terribly itchy she may pull the sock off. The ointment sounds good and is perfectly acceptable as an alternative to neosporin.

Keep me posted.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey