Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am thinking about adopting these two Chihuahuas that are…

Customer Question
I am thinking about adopting...
I am thinking about adopting these two Chihuahuas that are deaf and blind. One is only
blind in one eye. the one with the one eye helps to the other one that is blind. They were
born with this condition. I understand there s no operation to help them. I have two dogs
now one is a bichon frères and the other one is a standard poodle. I feel so sorry for these
two 7 month old Chihuahuas. Do you think there is any operation that can help them. Also
do you think it would work out with my other dog?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Shirley, these dogs would need to be examined by a vet who could determine if the congenital (present at birth) eye defects were amenable to surgical correction. A generalist vet might refer you to a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist (please see here: www.acvo.org). Be prepared for considerable expense for their exams and any surgical correction that might be available.

Knowing how resident dogs will react to new dogs in their territory may not be known with assurity. If your dogs have already demonstrated that they're social with other dogs - in a dog park, for instance - there's a better chance that they will accept two new ones. Sensory deprived dogs may react unpredicatably but often aggressively, however, when stressed by other dogs. I have advanced training in canine behavior and must tell you that my initial inclination is that these Chihuahuas would do better in a home in which they were the only pets.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.