Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My chocolate lab has always been a but we have noticed it

Customer Question

My chocolate lab has always been a licker but we have noticed it more lately and a few times over past 2 weeks he has acted as though he has peanut butter stuck on the roof of his mouth. Tonight we noticed he is also dripping saliva quite heavily and licking his wrists constantly also licked both my arms like he was bathing me. He sometimes acts as though he has hair in his mouth or something. He has always licked his wrists and rubbed at his muzzle but it's different now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both tonight

I am so sorry to hear your pet is showing these symptoms recently...

The primary cause of drooling and licking lips in excess is nausea in dogs. Other possible causes include an abscessed tooth, a foreign body such as a stick in the mouth, a mass orally or laryngeally, or ingesting something that is bitter or caustic.

So in this situation the ideal thing is to treat as if it it nausea because it is the most readily treatable condition and if there is no change in the next 24 hours a veterinary exam is warranted to determine the underlying cause and begin appropriate treatment

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours which is for nausea and stomach acid buildup
- Take a nice long walk daily to twice daily which increases gi motility, reduces abdominal cramping and nausea but please no grass eating
- Limit anything orally that might result in progression to vomiting such as treats or chews for now
- Water only in moderation
- In the morning small frequent meals of a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken until the salivation tapers then return to normal diet from there slowly over 1 week

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! It may require sedation to do a full oral and pharyngeal exam by your veterinarian but he/she might also trying to treat for nausea first and foremost to minimize invasive procedures...

I am online another 20 minutes to assist you both tonight...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!