Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 3 year old Rottweiler mix has started laying around

Customer Question
today, not playing, or drinking...
Our 3 year old Rottweiler mix has started laying around today, not playing, or drinking & just laying around. His nose seems warm. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Sorry about that ... sent in error ...

I will have the full answer for you in a few minutes.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

1. Sorry to hear that Buck is feeling unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below, but basically what you should do, just to be on the safe side is have a vet check him over sooner rather than later.

2. I say this because : While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that he is suddenly lethargic and not interested in anything that it is possible that your dog is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in a dog of Buck's age group.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that a range of other diagnosis are also possible.

3. In the meantime until you can get him to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and try and make sure he is taking fluids regularly.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Buck is getting on after our recent dialogue yesterday ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buck. How is everything going?
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian