Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

A week ago my golden mix jumped up to meet and greet. He s…

Customer Question
A week ago my golden...
A week ago my golden mix jumped up to meet and greet. He s tumbled and fell down, jumped up fell down again. No problems since. Thought arthritis as he is 9 but no more such problems. He's eating, but not the same as normal, also not running and playing. Taking Vet Profen for pain.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry that Jake si not feeling up to his normal self, it might be worthwhile discussing additional pain management for Jake even on a temporary basis to get him back to playing and running again. An alternative will be acupuncture and/ or laser therapy to minimize the additional need for medications.

I have a German Shepherd that when she is hyper does the same thing and can injure her back/ hips with the falling over as you describe and a 3-5 day course of additional medication such as tramadol can help but I also do laser therapy on her localizing on her most painful spots and this often does the trick. I will list alternative therapies in addition to the vetprofen below

1.) Gabapentin- this is called neurontin in people. It works by dulling the nerve firing associated with pain and is my top choice for senior pets because it is not metabolized as readily by the liver and is easier on a senior pet. The pros are that it is not pricey, has no high end dose so if the pain escalates as your pet gets older we simply adjust the dose, and is easier on older pets. The cons is that it has to be given consistently because withdrawing it suddenly causes what is called rebound of pain which is higher then original level, can cause mild sedation initially

2.) Tramadol- this is in the opioid class so it is given as needed for pain when there are bad days. It can be given longterm to senior pets two to three times daily if needed

3.) Alternative medicine: laser or light therapy, acupuncture, physical therapy, massage therapy. All are fantastic ways to help minimize pain, increase strength, and allow rest more comfortably. If there is a physical therapy facility in your area they would have all of these. Typically I will start with acupuncture and/ or laser therapy and then add in the physical therapy once we are more comfortable. I often see remarkable results with one to two sessions

4.) Adequan injections. These are pricey but given twice weekly subcutaneously (I have owners give the medication at home after a demonstration to minimize the visits) for four weeks then taper frequency as improvement is seen and if there are bad periods then increase frequency once again

5.) Supplements: Glucosamine sulfate 1500 mg daily, fish oil with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily, Vitamin E, Ester C are all great to slow progression of disease and assist in comfort

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both this evening...I hope Jake is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

In addition you an also use warm compresses or towels from the dryer on his back and hips as well as circular massage over the areas to stimulate healing and provide relief...

Well you didn't tell me what might have caused him to fall over in the first place. Other research has offered everything from arthritis, inner ear, to a brain tumor. And why is he still not feeling well.

I apologize if I misunderstood your request. With arthritis there is misuse of joints and therefore muscle wasting so doing normal activities such as chasing the ball or walking on slick surfaces dogs can slip or their legs can give out when tested. Unfortunately it is common even in young, healthy agile dogs to do this every once in a while. Similar to when we are walking and twist/ turn suddenly we can fall as well.

It isn't anything that he did abnormal to cause the tumble but when a dog with known arthritis dog jump up they don't have the strength they used to and the muscles don't hold their weight and they can fall over

I hope this clarifies your question a bit. Without being there to see him and do an orthopedic examination this would be my suspicion but if I can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to ask...

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian