Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 yr old femal mini schnauzer has a giant "zit" like

Customer Question
lesion on her back...
My 9 yr old femal mini schnauzer has a giant "zit" like lesion on her back
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Do I need to be overly concerned about this. She doesn't appear to be in any discomfort
2/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Can you upload a photo(s) of this "zit" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing.

I can't find the paper clip. Just took a pick of it and emailed it to myself. Give me a minute and I'll figure something out OK
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

No worries. ***@******.*** can help you if need be. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

Well, now I can't get the stupid pic to co operate and let me upload it. Let's just call it a day and I'll call my local vet on Monday! Thanks anyway
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Perfect.

I am glad to see that the rate drops to normal range (20-30 beats per minute) at rest. That along with those pink gums (a sign of good oxygenation) allows us to put issues that would actually compromise his breathing (ie allergic lung disease, pneumonia, etc) lower on his list of concerns. As well, his signs would make heart disease less of a concern here as well.

Instead, if we are hearing breathing changes and coughing with excitement, then I'd be concerned that we could have an issue in the upper airway itself. Common causes include laryngeal paralysis (where the sounds, increased rate, and coughing are related to the laryngeal flaps not pulling back to dilate the airway as they are supposed to) or tracheal collapse (where the neck muscles pull the trachea taut such that it collapses on itself and they cough to try to reopen the trachea). Otherwise, we could also be seeing these signs with a low grade bronchitis or asthma.

In this situation, its good that his vet has recognized that we do have an issue here that we need to look into. Still, if they haven't diagnosed it, then we'd be best to follow up with them. Just to give them a clear idea of what he is doing when he have these episodes (since dogs don't always show us what they are up to during their visits), it would be ideal to video one of these episodes. Based on what they see and their assessment of the airway, heart, and lungs (+/- an xray) we can pinpoint which issue is present. And if the signs are intermittent, then he may just need medical management (ie anti-inflammatories, bronchodilators, etc) or if laryngeal paralysis is confirmed the surgery could be curative for him.

Overall, we do have a few concerns with the signs you have reported and will want his vet to look into this properly for him. That way we can pinpoint which one is present and at least start symptomatic care to ease his signs and keep him breathing comfortably for us.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian