Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 12 year old GSD/Boxer who is still very active. The…

Customer Question
I have a 12 year...
I have a 12 year old GSD/Boxer who is still very active. The problem is when we walk/jog he now wears his back feet nails down to almost the quick. Are there boots I can use to prevent this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with Rupert. Yes, there are quite a few choices in dog boots. Please see here: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Pet-Supplies-Dog-Boots-Paw-Protectors/zgbs/pet-supplies/2975316011 His vet is concerned that Rupert is losing conscious proprioception (knowing where one's limbs are in space) which is resulting in Rupert's not lifiting his legs up high enough to avoid excoriating his hind feet. Degenerative myelopathy (a Lou-Gehrig type of neuropathy), degenerative disk disease, and neoplasia (cancer) in or around Rupert's spinal cord are important differential diagnoses. Unfortunately, we don't have effective therapies for chronic myelopathies but might prescribe a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam to see if antiinflammatory therapy is of any value.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you! He is on the meds you suggested and boots are ordered

You're quite welcome! Thank you for the good update. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian